Tex-Mex Shepherd’s Pie
- 45 min
- 1 h 45 min
- 1 L (4 cups) potatoes, peeled and diced
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) Neilson unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Neilson 35% cream
- To taste freshly ground salt and pepper
- 180 g (9 slices) Saputo sliced Monterey Jack cheese, cut in strips
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) cilantro, chopped
- 450 g (1 lb) ground veal
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) Neilson unsalted butter
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) Mexican chili powder
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) water
- 540 ml (1 can) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 L (4 cups) corn kernels, cooked
- To taste Neilson unsalted butter
- To taste Mexican chili powder
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water. Drain and mash. Stir in the butter and cream, and season to taste. When cooled, stir in the cheese and cilantro and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- In a large skillet, brown the veal and onion in the butter over high heat. Add the pepper and garlic and cook several minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the chili powder and water and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the beans, stir to combine, and transfer to a large baking dish. Cover with corn and top with the mashed potatoes.
- Dot with butter, sprinkle with chili powder and bake about 45 minutes, then run under the broiler just before serving.
Dried beans are an excellent source of vegetable protein. They are also high in fibre and minerals, including iron and manganese, and they're low in fat, making them a smart addition to a healthy diet.