Savoury Buttercup Squash and Cheese Pie
- 25 min
- 50 min
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) Neilson salted butter, melted
- 500 ml (2 cups) fresh bread crumbs
- 800 g (1 L / 4 cups) buttercup squash, in chunks
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 250 ml (1 cup) Neilson milk
- 5 ml (1 tsp) fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) salt
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 270 g (1 package) Saputo shredded swiss cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and sauté the bread crumbs in the butter until lightly toasted. When cool enough to handle, press the toasted crumbs into the base and up the sides of a deep-dish 23 cm (9 in) pie plate.
- Cook the squash in salted water until tender. Drain and mash coarsely. Let cool.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, thyme and salt. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Stir in the squash and the swiss cheese. Pour the mixture into the prepared crust.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the center is firm.
Buttercup squash is one of several squash that would work well in this recipe.