Lactose-Free Lemon Naked Cake
- 40 min
- 60 min (+ 2 hours resting)
- 10 to 12
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fine granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 7 egg yolks
- 9 egg whites (all room temperature)
- 1 cup Neilson TruTaste lactose-free milk
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) lemon juice
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 5 mL (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- Juice of 4 lemons, medium size
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 150 g (3/4 cup) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) sugar
- 3 egg whites
- A few drops lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
Directions for cake
- Place oven rack at lowest position. Preheat oven to 170°C (325°F).
- In a small bowl, combine flour, 3/4 cup of granulated sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together Neilson TruTaste lactose-free milk, vegetable oil, egg yolks, lemon juice and zest. Add dry ingredients and mix gently.
- Beat egg whites with a mixer on high speed until light and fluffy. Add cream of tartar and vanilla extract then beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- Stir a third of the meringue into the cake mixture. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the rest of the meringue.
- Pour into a 25 cm (10 in.) non anti-adhesive and non-greased Bundt (tube) cake pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. (While the cake is baking, prepare the lemon curd and meringue)
- Let cool upside down on a bottle or rack for 2 hours.
- To unmold, run a thin knife around the edges of the pan.
Directions for lemon curd
- Wash all 4 lemons and zest 2. Place zest in saucepan.
- Squeeze lemons and add juice to zest in saucepan.
- Add sugar and cornstarch. Stir over low heat.
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl then gently add into saucepan mixture, stirring constantly.
- Cook on high heat, stirring with a whisk. The mixture will begin to thicken.
- Careful: stir constantly once eggs are added otherwise the lemon curd may burn!
- Let cool and refrigerate.
Directions for Italian meringue
- In the top half of a double boiler, heat sugar and egg whites, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves.
- Remove bowl from double boiler and beat with a handheld mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice and a pinch of salt to prevent the mixture from separating and to ensure the meringue is nice and white.
- Flavour with 1 tsp of vanilla.
- Meringue must be firm: it should form stiff peaks when the mixer is pulled out.
- *Note: The meringue can be flavoured with 1 tsp of vanilla, almond or maple extract.
- Using a serrated knife, cut cake horizontally in 3 equal parts.
- Place the bottom layer on a dessert plate.
- Spread half of the lemon curd over this layer then top with the second layer. Spread remaining lemon curd.
- Add the last layer of cake and spread the Italian meringue on top.
- Top with fresh blackberries and sugar flowers then sprinkle with icing sugar and lemon zest.