Keylime Energy Bars
- 20 min
- 30 min
- 12 bars
- 180 mL (¾ cup) of all-purpose flour
- 125 mL (½ cup) of shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened
- 80 mL (1/3 cup) of powdered sugar
- 90 mL (6 tbsp) of cornstarch
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) of sea salt
- 80 mL (1/3 cup) of coconut oil, melted (or melted butter)
- 180 mL (¾ cup) of granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 125 mL (½ cup) of freshly squeezed lime juice, strained to remove the pulp
- 60 mL (¼ cup) of Neilson 35% cream
- Zest from 1 lime, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter a 20-cm (8”) square baking pan and line with parchment paper, letting extra paper hang over the sides to make unmolding easier.
- For the crust: in a medium bowl, combine the flour, shredded coconut, powdered sugar, half the quantity of cornstarch and salt. Add the coconut oil and mix, using a fork or your fingers, until the mixture is moistened.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan. Using your hands, firmly press the mixture to the bottom of the pan to form the crust. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the crust barely starts to turn golden on the edges.
- For the filling: in a medium bowl, combine the sugar with the remaining cornstarch and salt. Whisk in the eggs, then the lime juice. Finally, add the 35% cream and the lime zest and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Pour over the warm crust.
- Bake until the filling is set, 15 to 18 minutes. The center should still be wobbly: the filling will finish setting as it cools.
- Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.