Garlic Butter Mussels au Gratin
- 2.2 lb (1 kg) fresh mussels, cleaned
- ½ cup (125 mL) white wine
- ¼ cup (60 mL) Neilson butter at room temperature
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) Italian parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml) panko breadcrumbs
- Pour the white wine into a large pot and bring to a boil. Add mussels. Cover and cook over high heat, shaking the pot vigorously from time to time, for 4 minutes or until mussels open. Remove pot from heat and, using a slotted spoon, transfer mussels to a baking sheet to let them cool. Discard any mussels that are still closed.
- When mussels have cooled enough to be handled, remove the meat from the shells over a bowl to reserve cooking liquid. Put mussels in the bowl with cooking liquid and place shells on baking sheet. Cover bowl of mussels with plastic wrap and set aside, or refrigerate if you plan to serve them at a later time.
- Halve the shells and set the most attractive ones aside for serving.
- In a small bowl, combine butter, garlic and Italian parsley. Place mussel shells on a baking sheet. Place a cooked mussel in each shell. Add a knob of garlic butter on each mussel. Cover with a generous amount of panko breadcrumbs. Roast on a baking sheet in centre of oven for 1 to 2 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden brown. Serve hot or warm.