- 5 min
- 15 min
- 1 jar (250 mL)
- 30 g (2 tbsp) Neilson unsalted butter
- 100 g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) Neilson Eggnog
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) 35 % Neilson whipping cream
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) vanilla extract
- 0.5 g (1/8 tsp) salt
- 0.5 g (1/4 tsp) ground nutmeg or cinnamon, optional
- In a bowl, combine the eggnog, whipping cream and brown sugar.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the eggnog mixture and stir. Bring to a boil and cook the mixture over medium heat for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally with a whisk during the first 5 minutes. Stir constantly for the last 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir vigorously.
- Stir in vanilla, nutmeg and salt.
- Let the caramel cool down in the saucepan for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir and store in glass jars.
- Cover and refrigerate for more than 2 hours or until chilled.
For a holiday twist, dark rum can be added. The caramel can be prepared ahead of time. It can be stored covered and refrigerated for 3 to 4 days. Stir before serving.