Cream of Tomato Soup
- 30 min
- 55 min
- 6 to 8
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) Neilson salted butter
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, leaves only
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) hot pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 796 ml (1 can) crushed tomatoes
- 1 L (4 cups) chicken stock
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) Neilson 35% cream
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) Neilson 35% cream
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) finely grated orange zest
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped fresh dill
- In a soup pot, melt the butter and add the onion, carrots, garlic, thyme, pepper and bay leaf. Sweat without browning for about 8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the stock. Bring to a full boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and purée the soup. Adjust the seasoning and reheat, adding the cream at the last minute.
- Whip the cream for the topping until it forms stiff peaks, and fold in the orange zest and dill.
- Serve the soup hot with a spoonful of topping.