Cream of Fall Vegetables
- 15 min
- 20 min
- 4 to 6
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) butter
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (white part only)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 mL (1 tsp) Madras curry powder (optional)
- 2.5 mL (½ tsp) turmeric
- 2.5 mL (½ tsp) ground cumin
- 2.5 mL (½ tsp) sea salt
- 500 mL (2 cups) squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped (butternut, acorn or pumpkin)
- 250 mL (1 cup) parsnip, peeled, diced (about 3 parsnips)
- 250 mL (1 cup) sweet potato, peeled, diced (about 1 large sweet potato)
- 1 L (4 cups) chicken stock
- 125 mL (½ cup) Neilson 35% whipping cream
- to taste salt
- 35% cream
- Pomegranate seeds
- Fresh coriander
- In a large pot set over medium heat, melt the butter, then add the leek. Sauté until soft but not brown, about 5 minutes (lower the heat if necessary). Add garlic, Madras curry powder, turmeric, cumin, salt and cook, stirring for about 1 minute, until spices are fragrant. Add vegetables and chicken broth. Stir, scraping the bottom of the pot to incorporate spices and cooking juices. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are very tender.
- Puree the soup using a blender. Stir in the cream and season with salt, to taste.
- To serve, top each portion with a drizzle of cream, pomegranate seeds, and fresh coriander leaves.