Butternut Squash and Creamy Havarti Lasagna
- 25 MIN
- 1H 5M
- 4 cups (1 L) diced butternut squash
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 4 cups (1 L) shredded kale leaves (stems removed)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 pkg (360 g) fresh lasagna noodles
- 18 Armstrong creamy Havarti cheese slices
- 6 Armstrong medium Cheddar cheese slices
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp (30 mL) Neilson butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (750 mL) Neilson 2% milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Neilson 35% whipping cream
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Cream Sauce: Melt butter in saucepan set over medium heat; cook shallots, garlic and thyme for about 3 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in milk and cream until smooth. Stir in bay leaves; bring to boil, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Stir in mustard.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Remove from heat. Remove bay leaves and discard.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). In large pot of boiling salted water, blanch butternut squash for about 5 minutes or until tender; drain well.
- Heat oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook kale, salt and pepper for 3 to 4 minutes or until wilted. Let cool slightly; squeeze to remove excess moisture.
- Ladle 1/2 cup (125 mL) cream sauce into bottom of greased 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) baking dish. Layer 2 lasagna sheets, cutting to fit pan, over sauce. Spread 3/4 cup (175 mL) cream sauce over top. Sprinkle with half of the butternut squash and kale. Top with 6 Havarti cheese slices. Repeat layers. Layer 3 lasagna noodles over top; layer remaining cream sauce, and Cheddar and Havarti slices over top.
- Cover dish with foil. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil; broil for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and lasagna is bubbling. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with parsley.