Apple Chips with Cinnamon Caramel Sauce
- 45 min
- 45 min
- 3 apples
- 10 mL (2 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) granulated sugar
Cinnamon Caramel Sauce
- 180 mL (¾ cup) sugar
- 60 mL (¼ cup) water
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) corn syrup
- 125 mL (½ cup) Neilson 35% whipping cream
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) ground cinnamon
For the apple chips
- Preheat the oven to 150 °C (300 °F).
- Wash the apples and cut into thin slices using a mandolin.
- Spread the sliced apples out on two large baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Mix together the cinnamon and sugar, then sprinkle the mixture over the apple slices.
- Bake for 1 hour in the oven, turn the slices over, then bake for another hour.
- Turn off the oven, turn the apple slices over again and let cool inside the oven for 1 hour.
- Once dried and cooled, store the apples in a sealed container.
For the cinnamon caramel sauce
- Combine the sugar, water and corn syrup in a thick-bottomed pot. Mix the ingredients thoroughly, then heat on high.
- Bring to a boil without stirring. The caramel is ready when it becomes amber in colour and a candy thermometer indicates a temperature of 170 °C (340 °F).
- Add the cream to the caramel. Stir gently with a wooden spoon. Add the ground cinnamon and let cool.
- Serve with apple chips for dipping.